My conversation with Joan Rivers

5:42 PM Unknown 0 Comments




Fat shaming hits the popular Girls star, Lena Dunham.  While appearing on Howard Stern's Sirius XM radio show  Fashion Police host Joan Rivers made comments about the Girls star weight and adding the she was promoting obesity.   

Howard Stern : "Well, I think the thing we love about her is that she doesn't give a s**t ... She did a whole [Girls] episode in a bikini. It was the funniest f**king thing I ever saw."
Joan followed up by saying  this about Lena " You're  sending a message out to people saying, 'It's OK! Stay fat! Get diabetes. Everybody die. Lose your fingers.' 



I disagree with Ms. Rivers comments.  One I don't  think Lena is obese and two I believe she's promoting love for ones body no matter the size.  Joan comments however did make me stop and think about myself.  Do I promote obesity?

I tell women and girls all  the time it's okay to love yourself.  Be happy with you.  I say to people you can be beautiful at any size.  Am I secretly telling girls it's okay to have that extra piece of cake.  Am I subliminally telling women skip the gym as long as you dress nice.



So I called my good friend in my head Joan (Rivers) so we could chat and clear the air.  

I said "Joan girlfriend, you're dead ass wrong for what you said about Lena.  There isn't anything wrong with her size.   And you know damn well she isn't promoting obesity.  She is happy with the size she is.  Not every starlet in Hollywood is going to be a size zero."  Then Joan replies " How can she wear dresses above the knee?" I'm in shock.  "Now Joan what do you mean?  She is not a nun.  She's a young  lady.  She lives in L.A.  of course she's going to have on short skirts and dresses.  Quit being an old fool."  I then added "Joan I think you're promoting eating disorders and self hatred.  Not everyone is going to be a size 6.  Not everyone's body is designed that way." I then told my good friend in my head " I'm fully aware that being overweight can cause a greater risk for health issues.  However, a persons self esteem is closely tied  to how they treat themselves.  Joan you know I was in a relationship were the person wanted a skinny version of me.  I worked hard to give them that but I couldn't achieve a mainstream size."  This caused major issue in our relationship.   I had to step back and say to myself. " I'm a wonderful person.  I'm beautiful.  I'm never going to have the Beyonce body however there is nothing wrong with the skin I'm in."  Since ending that relationship I've added the weight that I lost back however I feel better about myself.  I regularly go to the doctor for routine check up and my health is just fine.  I'm not at risk for any adverse health conditions. I know that I do need to lose some weight because I'm not as fit as I could be.  And honestly it would be simply for more clothing options. 



 
Joan Rivers is in the business of making jokes and at many times other peoples expense.  I get it.  However there are many young people at don't.  I know this is not the last time we'll be having this conversation.  So I'll say this again at any size LOVE YOU!  If you're not happy with the person in the mirror then you need to make the changes for you and no one else.   

I really didn't chat with Joan Rivers but it would have been nice to! 

                         

Support the cause at gofundme.com/thefatgirloffashion 

0 comments: